Bigger and Better
Plans are underway to expand the Graduate Certificate, Diploma and Master of Clinical Ultrasound Award Courses to encompass more students of allied health disciplines such as physiotherapists, nurses, medical imaging professionals and perfusionists.
Ultrasound has the potential to make a dramatic impact on the way patients are managed and in many ways improve patient outcomes. Allied health professionals stand to gain as much benefit from ultrasound training as medical practitioners, so we see this expansion of the Graduate Courses as a huge win for medical education.
Another major change in the pipeline is that the current Graduate Certificate will undergo a restructure to include a number of electives, giving students more choice in choosing a pathway of study that is most suited to them.
The proposed structure is as follows:
Graduate Certificate of Clinical Ultrasound
1 core subject:
- MEDI90049 Principles of Ultrasound Heart Scan
A choice of 3 elective subjects:
- MEDI90050 Doppler Echocardiography
- MEDI90051 Ventricular Function
- MEDI90054 Ultrasound Guided Procedures
- Vessels, Nerves, Lung, and Musculoskeletal (NEW)
- Abdominal and Peri-Arrest Ultrasound (NEW)
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology and Practicum (NEW)
These changes are expected to come into effect in 2019, so watch this space for updates!