The Ultrasound for Physiotherapists course is to be released in March 2018.
Ultrasound imaging elevates contemporary physiotherapy practice by informing emergency differential diagnosis, enhancing clinical decision making and ultimately accelerating management and intervention strategies for improving patient outcomes.
Growing evidence supports ultrasound as a non-invasive, valid and reliable point of care outcome measure that can be used to diagnose lung pathology, monitor fracture healing and act as a biofeedback tool for the rehabilitation of muscle following injury and trauma.
The Ultrasound for Physiotherapists course offers evidence-based, practical, and portable professional development for those seeking to upskill on the foundations of ultrasound imaging, develop competency skills for ultrasound imaging, and assimilate ultrasound imaging into daily clinical practice. It has been designed to enhance learning and promote understanding, on topics including musculoskeletal physiotherapy, cardiorespiratory physiotherapy and women’s health.
This online short course is aimed at physiotherapists and physiotherapy students.
There are 10 self-paced tutorials and 20 case studies, accessible across multiple platforms, covering:
- Introduction of Ultrasound for Physiotherapists
- Generating Ultrasound Images
- Basic Modes of Ultrasound
- Operation of the Ultrasound Machine
- Ultrasound Imaging of Skeletal Muscle – Thigh
- Ultrasound Imaging of Skeletal Muscle – Lumbar
- Ultrasound Imaging of the Pelvis
- Ultrasound Imaging of the Sternum
- Lung Ultrasound Diagnosis
- Lung Ultrasound Procedures and Case Studies
A logbook resource has been included for professionals to keep a record of their own practice, competency and skills.
The Ultrasound for Physiotherapists course has been developed by a team of interdisciplinary professionals, in Physiotherapy and Medicine, with extensive expertise in ultrasound imaging in both research and clinical settings.
Partner Faculty: Mobile Learning Unit, Melbourne Medical School, Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Science (MDHS)
- Online and multi-platform
Students have the flexibility to study in their own time, pace and location. The course is structured to allow busy professionals the opportunity to learn in small building blocks, where knowledge can be obtained in a matter of minutes, and the course can logically be suspended or progressed, when convenient. Course materials can be accessed on a computer using a web browser, on a tablet or smartphone using our dedicated e-Learning App.
- Submission of all tutorial self-assessment units and 20 case studies
A certificate is issued upon the successful completion of all the assessments.
- It is estimated this self-paced e-learning package requires 18 hours to complete*
* It is recommended to complete the course within one month to optimise your learning experience.