New to 2018 – Now Accepting Enrolments
Introducing the FCU TOE Advanced Course
Anaesthetists, intensive care, and emergency department physicians, and surgeons who wish to learn how to use Point-Of-Care (POC) transoesophageal guidance techniques.
The Focused Cardiac Ultrasound Transoesophageal Echocardiography Advanced Course will take participants to a new level of understanding of TOE including quantification of valvular and ventricular function and pulmonary hypertension including colour, spectral and tissue Doppler.
- Acquire new levels of advanced knowledge of TOE views
- Perform Doppler Assessment including Valvular Regurgitation and Stenosis
- Understand Basic Haemodynamic State Assessment
- Identify and interpret various ventricular assessments for left and right ventricular systolic function
- Ability to distinguish different patterns of left and right ventricular dysfunction
The TOE Advanced simulator course is delivered in four components:
- Pre-reading eLearning tutorials and 20 online case studies. This provides the knowledge base to perform and interpret TOE.
- Three-hour workshop. Supervised orientation workshop.
- Post-workshop Case Studies and Exam. 10 online cases to perform using the simulator. The participant in their own time will work through a case study, acquiring images, interpreting pathology, writing a report and completing assessments relevant to the case. At the end of this stage, there is an online MCQ exam.
- 30 online logbooks to record clinical activity performed on patients.
Completion of the course requires a 70% pass mark of all pre-reading cases, simulator cases, and exam.
Practical learning is provided with practice scanning of 10 (minimum) pathology cases using high-fidelity ultrasound simulators (Vimedix), with an initial supervised orientation workshop followed by private practice access to the simulators.
Students have the flexibility to study in their own time and location. Course materials can be accessed through the Education app on smartphones and tablets with iOS, Android or Windows systems. Once the course materials have been downloaded on smartphones and tablets, all the interactive media content can be viewed even when offline (however, internet access is required periodically to login or re-verify login credentials). Course materials can also be accessed online using a web browser.
The FCU TOE Advanced course builds upon the foundational knowledge taught in the FCU TOE course. It is highly recommended that participants complete FCU TOE prior to enrolling in the advanced course.