Anaesthetists, intensive care, and emergency department physicians, and surgeons who wish to learn how to use Point-Of-Care (POC) transoesophageal guidance techniques
The Focused Cardiac Ultrasound Transoesophageal Echocardiography (FCU TOE) Course offers a comprehensive knowledge base through learning practical skills in transoesophageal echocardiography to complement clinical evaluation. The course has been designed to use the CAE Vimedix Ultrasound Simulators to reinforce clinical simulator case studies. The participant will learn practical skills in focused transesophageal echocardiography (TOE), also known as focused cardiac ultrasound (FCU) and additional learning that outlines both normal and pathology cases relevant to anaesthesia, critical care, emergency medicine, surgery and internal medicine.
- Acquire the TOE views
- Understand haemodynamic State Assessment
- Perform limited valve assessment using 2D and colour flow Doppler
- Putting it all together – doing a iHeartScan
- Writing a iHeartScan report
- Practical experience in performing and reporting an iHeartScan on simulators
The TEE simulator course is delivered in four components:
- Pre-reading eLearning tutorials and 20 online case studies. This provides the knowledge base to perform and interpret basic TOE.
- Three-hour workshop. Supervised orientation workshop.
- Post-workshop Case Studies and Exam. 10 online cases to perform using the simulator. The participant in their own time will work through a case study, acquiring images, interpreting pathology, writing a report and completing assessments relevant to the case. At the end of this stage, there is an online MCQ exam.
- 30 online logbooks to record clinical activity performed on patients.
Completion of the course requires a 70% pass mark of all pre-reading cases, simulator cases, and exam.
Students have the flexibility to study in their own time and location. Course materials can be accessed through the Education app on smartphones and tablets with iOS, Android or Windows systems. Once the course materials have been downloaded on smartphones and tablets, all the interactive media content can be viewed even when offline (however, internet access is required periodically to login or re-verify login credentials). Course materials can also be accessed online using a web browser.