Anaesthetists, intensive care, emergency department physicians and surgeons who wish to learn how to use Point-of-Care (POC) vascular ultrasound-guided techniques.
The FUSE Guided Vascular Access Course offers venous or arterial cannulation to increase success and reduce the risk of complications by guidance with ultrasound. This course is the eLearning component that guides the participant through the vascular simulator learning course. The course has been designed to teach ultrasound guided vascular access techniques for central vein line insertion, PICC lines, radial arterial cannulation and femoral vein and arterial cannulation using gel phantoms as the simulators. The course is suitable for anyone wanting to learn ultrasound guided vascular access.
- Perform basic needle techniques (blue phantom gel blocks)
- Ultrasound of the upper limb (picc line and radial art line)
- Ultrasound of the neck – internal jugular and axillary vein catheter
- Ultrasound of the femoral vein and artery
The Ultrasound Guided Simulator Vascular Access course is delivered in four components:
- Pre-reading eLearning tutorials, and pre-workshop MCQ exam. This provides the knowledge base to perform ultrasound-guided vascular access.
- Three-hour workshop. Managed in your institution to demonstrate how to perform vascular access on the simulators (imaging, needle technique and feeding a wire into the vessel).
- Post-workshop Case Studies and Exam. Four self-directed cannulations on each of internal jugular vein, axillary/subclavian vein, peripheral vein, radial artery, femoral artery and femoral vein. At the end of this stage there is an online MCQ exam.
- Optional. 30 online logbook to record clinical activity performed on patients.
Completion of the course requires a 70% pass mark of all pre-reading cases, simulator cases, and exam.
Students have the flexibility to study in their own time and location. Course materials can be accessed through the iTeachU app on smartphones and tablets with iOS, Android or Windows systems. Once the program materials have been downloaded on smartphones and tablets, all the interactive media content can be viewed even when offline (however internet access is required periodically to login or re-verify login credentials). Program materials can also be accessed online using a web browser.
The course provides a good knowledge-base reinforced with learning practical skills with realistic Vimedix ultrasound simulators.